During studies at JAMK students can go abroad via the following options

• Student exchange: student completes part of the degree studies abroad at one of JAMK’s partner institutions or sometimes at a self-acquired host institution or in a mobility programme organised by another institution of higher education/ organisation

• Practical training abroad: student completes a part of or the whole practical training abroad as part of the degree

• International double degree programmes: a form of cooperation between JAMK and one or more foreign institutions of higher education, in which both institutions have their own study programmes and syllabi and in which students complete part of the degree studies abroad at the partner institution and receive a degree certificate from both institutions

• Thesis work abroad: student writes his/her thesis at a foreign organisation, e.g. business, project, association, institution of higher education, institute etc.

• Summer schools, study tours, language courses: student completes part of the degree studies abroad e.g. in a summer school organised by a partner institution or at a language course, or participates in a study tour as part of a study module at JAMK

Exchange programmes and partner institutions

Student exchanges are usually based on exchange programmes (e.g. Erasmus and Nordplus). In addition, JAMK has several bilateral cooperation agreements with institutions of higher education around the world. In some degree programmes it is also possible to complete an international double degree abroad based on an agreement between JAMK and one or more partner institutions.

At the moment JAMK has approximately 300 partners in 50 countries located in Europe, North and South America, Asia and Africa. This ensures that JAMK can offer students several possibilities for student exchange both in and outside Europe.

Study packages organised by other institutions of higher education as well as language courses and summer schools abroad are other ways of going abroad during studies. Students also have the possibility to organise an exchange place for themselves by negotiating a so-called Free Mover exchange place with an institution of their choice.

Students can acquire a practical training place abroad either independently or via internship exchange programmes or businesses’ own programmes. E.g. the Center for International Mobility CIMO coordinates several internship exchange programmes designed for students in different fields. The EURES network provides information on job opportunities in Europe.  The practical training coordinators of the schools provide additional information on field-specific practical training possibilities abroad.       

Erasmus+ Programme in general

Erasmus+  for Higher Education is part of the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union and its aim is to promote cooperation between European institutions of higher education as well as student-, teacher- and expert exchange between the institutions. The programme also promotes cooperation and mobility between institutions of higher education and the working life (e.g. internship exchanges).

The Erasmus+ programme consists of several different functions, one of which is mobility. Mobility includes student, teacher and staff exchanges. Erasmus+ student mobility includes both student exchanges and practical training with a duration of 3 to 12 months in countries which participate in the Erasmus+ programme. Every year JAMK sends out and receives hundreds of Erasmus+ exchange students. Teacher and staff mobility includes teaching and other assignments in countries which participate in the Erasmus+ programme.

At JAMK, Erasmus+ is one of the focal exchange programmes as well as sources of funding for mobility. At the national level, the Erasmus+ programme and funding is coordinated by the Center for International Cooperation and Mobility (CIMO) and at JAMK level, by the International Services. The International Services applies annually for Erasmus+ funding awarded by the European Commission for student-, practical training-, staff-, and teacher mobility and reports to CIMO about the use of these funds. In addition, the International Services administers the mobility agreements between JAMK and the partner institutions which are integral to the programme.

Erasmus+ student mobility for JAMK students

Through the Erasmus+ programme, JAMK students can apply for:

  • Student exchange supported with an Erasmus+ grant to JAMK’s partner institutions with which JAMK has an Erasmus+ exchange agreement. The exchange period can be either one or two semesters, and the actual duration can vary from 3 to 12 months according to the academic calendar at the host institution.

  • Practical training supported with an Erasmus+ grant to businesses, organisations, associations etc. (excluding EU organisations and organisations administering EU programmes as well as diplomatic missions of the student’s home country located abroad). In Erasmus+ practical trainings students are supposed to find the practical training place  independently (excluding practical training for students of the School of Health Social Studies, who can usually take advantage of readymade agreements when looking for a place for practical training). The recommended minimum duration of Erasmus+ practical training is 3 months.

Instructions for applying to Erasmus+ student exchange and practical training period can be found on the student intranet in section Internationalisation through studies (requires a username and password).

Further information about the exchange programmes, partner institutions and other possibilities

A general list of JAMK's international partners can be found here.

A list of JAMK’s international partners -checked and updated yearly - with whom JAMK has a valid exchange agreement for student mobility, detailed descriptions of the exchange programmes and up-to-date information about abroad study packages, language courses, summer schools and practical training opportunities organised by different institutions of higher education and organisations can be found on the student intranet in section Internationalisation through studies (requires a username and password).