Health care services available for Exchange and Double Degree Students are dependent on the student's status at JAMK. Double degree students are entitled to use student health care services, and exchange students are entitled to public and/or private health care services, based on the health insurance obtained before arriving to Finland and JAMK.

Double Degree students are enrolled as degree students at JAMK, and therefore, are entitled to student health care through Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS). Read more about the services and the mandatory healthcare fee in the Study Guide.

Exchange students, however, are not pursuing a full degree in Finland and therefore, under the law are not entitled to student health care. Instead, exchange students must obtain either the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC, available for citizens of EU/EEA countries) or private insurance that will cover the medical and drug expenses while on Exchange. Read more about insurances on our page Insurance coverage for Exchange and Double Degree Students.

Public Health Care Services

Citizens of the EU and EEA countries with EHIC card are entitled to the same public health care services as Finnish citizens. Further information: European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) (European Commission's website)

Services are subject to a fee. Please note that access to public services and treatment might take some time, depending on the needed service and the queues (e.g. dental care and mental health care services usually have quite long queues).

Links to public health care in Jyväskylä:

EU/EEA citizens may also obtain optional private health insurance in addition to/instead of EHIC.

Private Health Services

The citizens of non-EU and non-EEA countries must have personal private health insurance allowing them access to the private health care services. Further Information: Students’ Health Insurance for Non-EU citizens (Finnish Immigration Service)

Services are subject to a fee. Usually fees are paid first to the service provider and then reimbursement is applied from the insurance company.

Links to some private health service providers in Jyväskylä:

If private health services are closed (e.g. in the evening/during the weekend), first aid is available in the public health centres.

In Case of Emergency

In case of emergency, call the general emergency number 112. By calling this number you can contact police, ambulance, fire department and other emergency services. An emergency call can be made free of charge from any phone.

Vaccinations and medication

Make sure your basic vaccinations, polio, tetanus-diphtheria and MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) are up to date. NB! Exchange Students arriving to practical training in the field of health and social studies must have certain vaccinations, furher information will be provided upon acceptance in the welcoming info package. Please bring the certificate of vaccination as well as possible regular medication with you.

If you are on a medication, you should take along the prescription or other detailed information on the medicine.


Pharmacies are part of the Finnish health care system, and a pharmacy licence from the National Agency for Medicines is always needed to operate a retail pharmacy. Many medicines can be bought only on doctor’s prescription. In addition to prescribed medicines, pharmacies sell items needed in the use of medicines, bandaging materials, as well as self-care medicines without prescription, e.g. painkillers, basic creams, and vitamins. Self-care medicines for pets, nature care products, and cosmetics are among the products sold at pharmacies as well. Plasters and bandage materials can also be bought at grocery shops in Finland, but not e.g. painkillers.

The opening hours of Finnish pharmacies are among the longest in Europe, but vary from one pharmacy to another. In Jyväskylä, the pharmacy called Yliopiston apteekki at Kauppakatu 39 is open daily from 7 am to 11 pm. In addition to the pharmacies located in the centre of Jyväskylä, there is a pharmacy also within some superstores, e.g. Citymarket and Prisma. The pharmacy of Saarijärvi is located at Kauppakatu 2.

Crisis and Mental Health Services for Foreigners

Crisis Centre Mobile

The Crisis Centre Mobile help around the clock for all people in the Jyväskylä region in acute personal and family crisis situations. You can discuss your life situation and problems anonymously in English. No appointments are necessary. The services are free of charge.

SOS Crisis Center/MIELI mental Health Finland

The SOS Crisis Center/MIELI mental Health Finland help all foreigners living in Finland as well as their families to cope with psychological and social problems. You can discuss your life situation and problems anonymously in Finnish, Swedish and English, and if necessary, your mother tongue. The services are free of charge.