How to apply for transfer
Short step-by-step instructions on how to apply.
Transfer can be applied if you meet the following criteria:
- You have been an attending student at least one academic term
- You have a study entitlement in an corresponding or equivalent degree programme in some other university of applied sciences or university in Finland
- You have a study entitlement at Jamk and are willing to transfer in another degree programme, as following:
- International Business <-> Liiketalous
- Purchasing and Logistics Engineering <-> Logistiikka
- Information and Communication Technology <-> Tieto- ja viestintätekniikka
- Nursing <-> Sairaanhoitaja
- Purchasing and Logistics Engineering -> International Business
- Business Information Technology <-> Tietojenkäsittely
- Tourism Management <-> Palveluliiketoiminta
- Tourism Management <-> International Business
Decisions on the transfer applications will be made case by case according to the Admission Criteria presented below. Jamk cannot accept all transfer applicants.
- Your studies have been progressed normally: 55 ECTS credits/academic year or 27,5 ECTS credits/academic term. An applicant can take into count all the studies which will be at the transcript of records in the end of academic term
- You have a realistic possibility to graduate during the standard study time. Study right does not start from the beginning or be extended after transfer.
- In case there are more applicants than available study places, total amount of study credits, academic performance and the reasoning given in the application are taken in account.
If you apply for transfer in such a way, that the language of instruction will change, an interview will be required in order to determine your language skills corresponding to the new language of instruction.
- Degree student of a foreign institution cannot apply for transfer. You can apply for an admission in joint application in January.
- If you apply to a different field than to the field you are currently studying in, you have to apply in joint application in January.
Student’s study right will end in the present university and will be transferred to Jamk in the beginning of the next academic term.
After transfer, a transfer student may enroll for non-attendance for the first academic year only in the case of illness that prevents you from starting your studies, pregnancy/parenting leave, or military service. If you are going to enroll for non-attendance, you need to provide a document that proves one of these reasons for absence.
Additional requirement (Health and social studies)
The admission of such transfer student whose right to study has been revoked in another educational institution based on one's health or ability to function and whose right of study has not been restored later on the basis of a medical certificate, are considered separately. The right to study may be revoked if a selected transfer student has concealed a previous revocation of right to study. (Polytechnics Act 352/2003 a §, 1 subsection)
Additional requirement (International Business)
When you apply for transfer to International Business an interview will be required in order to determine your language skills. Interview will be assessed pass/fail.
Additional requirement (Information and Communication Technology)
When you apply for transfer to Information and Communication Technology, an interview will be required in order to determine your suitability to the field and language skills (English). The interview will be assessed as passed/failed.
Tuition fee and scholarship
Transfer student needs to pay a tuition fee if the student is a NON-EU/EEA citizen. The tuition fee is 9 000 €/year for Bachelor’s degree programmes and 10 000€/year for Master’s degree programmes.
The rules regarding the tuition fees and scholarships at Jamk:
- In the first academic year the scholarship covers 40% of the tuition fee.
- In the following academic years the scholarship covers 40% of the tuition fee if a student earns at least 60 credits (Bachelor’s degrees) or 30 credits (Master’s degrees) per academic year.
When a transfer student starts at Jamk, the student’s study time is counted from the beginning of the studies at the present university. So, if you have already studied a year before transferring to Jamk you are not considered to be a first year student. This means that you need to have 60 credits (Bachelor’s degrees) or 30 credits (Master’s degrees) when you arrive to Jamk in order to get the scholarship.
Timetable and application
Spring application period is on 2 - 15 May 2023 at 3.00 p.m. Finnish time. Autumn application period is 1 - 15 November 2023, 3.00 p.m. You can apply on studyinfo.fi.
Transfer application period for English conducted degree programmes:
Twice in a year
- Purchasing and Logistics Engineering
- International Business
- Master’s degree programmes
Once in a year
Spring application period:
- Tourism Management
- Information and Communication Technology
- Business Information Technology
- Results will be announced before 30 June (studies begin in autumn) or 15 December (studies begin on January).
- Study place have to be accepted 31 July at the latest, or 31 December at the latest, depending on the application period.
- Studies will always start beginning of the next academic term.
After transfer, a student may enroll for non-attendance for the first academic year only in the case of illness that prevents you from starting your studies, pregnancy/parenting leave, or military service. If you are going to enroll for non-attendance, you need to provide a document that proves one of these reasons for absence.