School of Business
The School of Business offers both SMEs and the public sector solutions for improving competitiveness. We create business concepts and promote the renewal of services. We offer Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes both in English and in Finnish in the fields of Business Administration and Tourism and Hospitality Management. Our Degree Programme in International Business is an EFMD Accredited Bachelor - has been since 2012.
The core competences of the School of Business are business development, pedagogy, tourism and life-long learning. We offer studies in business, tourism and service business, and business information technology.
In developing our curricula and innovative pedagogical solutions, we work closely together with the industry. Various projects, internships, labs and regional development platforms offer our students excellent learning opportunities.
Our degree programmes are of high quality by both national and international standards.
The Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC) has conducted an audit of Jamk University of Applied Sciences and has awarded the institution with a quality label that is valid for six years from 20 May 2019.
FINEEC awards also the Quality Label for Excellence to audited higher education institutions for their commitment to enhancement work of exceptionally high quality. Jamk has been awarded the first-ever Quality Label for Excellence in higher education in May 2021.
Read more about Quality at Jamk.
The first EFMD accredited degree programme in Finland
Jamk was the first Finnish university of applied sciences to get an EFMD accreditation for a degree programme all the way back in 2012. The European Foundation for Management Development is an internationally recognised accreditation organisation for business and management education. In 2021 our Degree Programme in International Business received the rare, extended EFMD Bachelor -accreditation that is valid for 5 years.
Services, Education export, and RDI
We at Jamk School of Business actively aim to strengthen the competence of companies and organizations. Our Sport Business by JAMK is a trusted partner for world wide organizations such as the WRC when it comes to sport and event research. Our work-life oriented projects always aim to create new knowledge, service solutions, and innovations. Our project portfolio varies from 30 to 40 projects per year. The common themes in our projects have mainly been tourism, eSports, and gaming technologies in the recent years.
Sport Business by Jamk
Outstanding online environment
The School of Business has a high-quality, interactive online environment and advanced blended learning models have been built for both social and personalized learning. We make use of interactive teaching methods, videoconferencing and lectures and encourage the students to connect with the lecturers and peer students throughout their studies.
Advisory Board as the backbone of constant development
One way we ensure that our offering is always relevant to the developing needs of the industry is that we actively consult our advisory board. The advisory board consists of company representatives, who bring their insights from their business field into the table, helping us to analyze our degree programmes, services, and research and development projects from a point of view that's relevant for the business life. The advisory board takes actively part in reviewing and developing our education.
Our Advisory Board:
- Jari Alanen, Kesko Ltd. Lake Finland Area, Region Manager
- Arja Aroheinä, City of Jyväskylä, Director, Human Resources
- José Ayala, Stafix Ltd., CEO
- Pirkko Filtness, Telia, Sales Director
- Auli Fredrikson, LähiTapiola Central Finland, Business Director
- Petri Kemppainen, Tieto Ltd. Head of Public Sector Transformation
- Simo Käyhkö, Jyväs-Caravan Ltd., CEO
- Henkrik Elo, Air Force Academy, Commandant
- Katri Paakkari, Hotel Alba, CEO
- Jaakko Puurula, Valmet Technologies Ltd, Head of Valmet Jyväskylä
- Juha Rahko, Jyväskylä Fair Ltd, CEO
- Tuomas Roininen, Jyväskylä Game Industry Hub Expa, Vice Chairman
- Niko Saarukka, Restaurant Figaro, Entrepreneur
- Miia Sarkola, Aallon Jyväskylä Ltd, CEO
- Sari Suominen, Powen Ltd, CEO
- Heikki Tervanen, Osuuskauppa Keskimaa, Divisional Director
- Eija Tolkki, Op Financial Group Central Finland, Human Resources Director
- Seppo Virta, Spa Hotel Peurunka, CEO
- Minna Hiekkataipale, Jamk School of Business, Director
- Niko Kiviaho, Jamk School of Business, Head of Department Tourism and Hospitality
- Matti Hirsilä, Jamk School of Business, Head of Department Global Competence
- Tiina Martelius-Louniala, Jamk School of Business, Head of Department R&D
- Pertti Pernu, Jamk School of Business, Head of Department Business Administration
Extensive international co-operation
The School of Business has partner universities in over 30 countries and our international network consists of 130 partner universities, of which many are internationally highly ranked. The partnerships offer an academic experience abroad with the possibility of student and faculty exchange, double degrees, customised programmes, and joint research at the bachelor’s and master’s level.
- MOC: Microeconomics of Competitiveness network developed by Professor Michael Porter at Harvard Business School
- EFMD: European Foundation for Management Development
- EAIE: European Association of International Education, Business Schools
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Business Schools
- SAPPLE: Asia Pacific Professional Leaders in Education, Business Schools
- APAIE: Asia Pacific Association for International Education, Business Schools
- AACSB: Business Education Alliance member
- EASM: European association of Sport Management
- EuroFM: European Facility Management Network for Education, practice and research
- SIETAR Europa: Society for Intercultural Education, Training and Research