Orientation Weekend in Helsinki and Study Tours
You can join our excursion to Stockholm, Sweden and you can travel on your own or with other students e.g. to Tallinn, Estonia.
Check out this video about Helsinki!
Helsinki is one of the places you'll get a chance to visit in our summer school
Orientation Days in Helsinki - 3-5 June 2022
Fresh and surprising. Dynamic and lively. Enjoy the slow rhythm of urban Helsinki. Explore and be inspired. The Summer School experience starts with a weekend in our beautiful capital Helsinki. Our student tutors will meet you at your arrival to Finland and guide and spend time with you and your fellow students in Helsinki. Professional tour guides will take you for a city tour and show the most interesting attractions and sights, such as the Senate Square, Helsinki Cathedral, Sibelius Monument etc. Helsinki is a modern city with half a million residents and yet full of history and small enough for you to get around easily. We will also open our Summer School in Helsinki as part of your orientation. After enjoying the capital’s summertime hustle and bustle, you can hop on one of our buses taking you directly to Jyväskylä. Hel yeah! More information later!
Accommodation note: the admin fee covers your stay at Eurohostel (see the page concerning fees), but if you wish, you can book accommodation on your own in Helsinki. Make sure to inform your tutors if you're not staying at Eurohostel. We recommend you Hotel Arthur, but you can choose your own.
Schedule (Finnish time)
Friday 3rd June
- Landing in Helsinki-Vantaa airport. Our student tutors will meet you upon arrival to Helsinki Airport. You'll be asked to include your arrival information while registering for the summer school
- Accommodation. Our student tutors will then guide you to Eurohostel by local trains and check that your accommodation is fine.
- Free time! After getting your luggages to the hostel, you'll have free time for the rest of the day.
Saturday 4th June
- 9:45 a.m. we meet at Eurohostel
- 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Official City Tour by bus with local tour guide. Professional tour guides will take you for a city tour and show the most interesting attractions and sights, such as the Senate Square, Helsinki Cathedral, Sibelius Monument etc.
- Lunch (at own expense)
- 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Orientation and meet and greet at Hotel Artur. There we will tell about the whole summer school programme
Sunday 5th June
- 9:15 a.m. We meet at Eurohostel and depart to ferry station by bus (from there we take a cruise to Tallinn, see below).
- 12:00 p.m. Those who are not going to Tallinn Cruise, departure to Jyväskylä by bus at 12 from Eurohostel. Check your belongings before leaving the hostel.
- 4:00 p.m. Arrival to Jyväskylä. On the half way there will be a possibility to have a buffet lunch (at own expense).
Monday 6th June
- 9:45 a.m. meeting student tutors (buddies) at the place where you stay. Walking to the Rajakatu campus (15 minutes walk).
- 10:30 a.m. Monday courses start (Note! The first lecture on Monday 6th June (9:00-10:15 a.m.) is cancelled.)
Optional Study Tours
You can join our excursions to Tallinn, Estonia, St Petersburg, Russia and Stockholm, Sweden. You can also travel on your own or with other students as Jyväskylä is located in the centre of Finland making it very easy for one to explore the other Finnish cities and small towns during the weekends. And why not make the most of your time in Northern Europe and continue your stay with a visit to any European countries, which are only a few hours away by plane. Optional study tours are organised by different travel agencies.
In order to enroll to the optional weekend study tours, notify Mr. Risto Korkia-Aho via email email@example.com. The deadline for enrollment for trips is April 28, 2022, and then you have five (5) days to pay (May 3, 2022, at the latest). A travel agency will contact you for payment details. If you have any questions about Tallin or Stockholm trips, contact Risto.
Tallinn, Estonia 5 June 2022 (a day trip)
Welcome to Tallinn - The Times We Had! Tallinn - the Estonial Capital, is known for its medieval Old Town with places of fascinating contrasts. The city centre boasts of beautiful churches and major landmarks nestled between modern high-rises. All sights are conveniently located only a short stroll away from each other.
Spend a weekend in Stunning Stockholm, Sweden, 17-19 June 2022
2022 TRIP SOLD OUT! The beautiful capital of Sweden is built on 14 islands around one of the Europe’s largest and best-preserved medieval city centres. The list of things to do in Stockholm is endless and there are more than a hundred attractions
to choose from. You can visit the Royal Palace, amusement park, museums, parks, historical sites, go shopping or just walk around the beautiful Old Town, one of the foremost attractions in Stockholm, founded in 1252.