Courses for exchange students are not usually meant only for exchange students, but in fact they are part of our curricula for degree students! This means that in the class room we have a fruitful mixture of Finnish Degree Students, International Degree Students and Exchange Students!
Things to keep in mind while looking at the course listings and choosing courses:
1. Choose the correct area of study
• Make sure the first drop down menu says “EXC, Exchange Studies”. Then choose the area of study (School) you are interested in / applying to under the heading "Select Education Unit" in the drop-down menu
• Be sure that you are checking the course listings of the area of study specified in the exchange agreement between JAMK and your home institution. Contact your home institution’s International Office/Services to find out in which study fields a co-operation agreement exists.
• Here at JAMK we refer to areas of study as “Schools” rather than faculties, i.e. School of Business or School of Technology, etc.
• NB! If you are applying for spring semester at the School of Business, remember to check and choose at least one course under the heading "Summer Studies" in the drop-down menu!
2. Check courses related to your field of study
• Always check the course description to see if the course matches to your curricula at your home institution
• Clicking the link on the column CODE will open the course description
• Clicking the link on the column SCHEDULE will open the dates of the classes
3. Choosing courses
• Minimum 65% of the courses you want to complete during the exchange have to be chosen from the School you are applying to! This means that at least 20 credits (assuming that you are going to do 30 credits per semester) have to be chosen from the courses offered by the School you are applying to. After that it is also possible to choose a couple of additional courses from other areas.
• You can choose also from the wide range of language and communication courses (Finnish, English etc.). From the drop-down menu check "Language Centre" and also the "Elective Interdisciplinary Studies"
4. Fill in your course selections to your online application form (and also to your home institution's Learning Agreement if applicable)
• Check the application process from here
5. Registering for courses
• Actual course registration is made upon arrival to JAMK
• NB! Choosing courses to the online application/Learning Agreement does not automatically reserve you a place in the course. Final course enrolments may be changed according to the places available in the chosen courses
• You will have a chance to make changes to your original study plan ONCE per semester within one month after your arrival at JAMK. Further information on changing the study plan while on exchange will be provided upon arrival
Doing Business in Latin America –course
• If you have chosen to do the optional "Doing Business in Latin America (FEES APPLY!)" in Buenos Aires Argentina, please apply as if you were going to be in Finland and JAMK as an exchange student for that time.
• For example: A student wants to come to JAMK as an exchange student for the full academic year and also participate in the "Doing Business in Latin America (Argentina)". The student would apply for the full year at JAMK. When asked to choose courses, the student would enter the courses for Autumn and then add the text "Doing Business in Latin America" for Spring Courses.
• Please keep in mind that if you are coming to JAMK within the Erasmus+ programme, you might not be eligible for the Erasmus+ study grant while you are in Argentina. Please check with your home institution!
Music and Teacher Education exchange students
• Study plan will be tailored for each student, contact incoming(at)jamk.fi for discussing your course choices